Heroes

After my last post, someone asked me who my favorite super hero was. Actually, I am much more a DC comics fan than Marvel, having grown up on a diet of "Super Friends" (Superman, Batman & Robin, Wonder Woman AND Auqaman? All in one show?) and the cheezy 70's "Wonder Woman" TV show. The lasso of truth? How cool is that?
But as for the real heroes in my life, I'd have to say that the amazing women that surround me top the list. My mother. My mother-in-law. My grandmother.
I also have lots of personal heroes from history, and my feelings are well summed up in this WONDERFUL song by Ann Reed. I've posted the lyrics here, but if you go to this site you can hear the song and click on links to learn more about the women listed.
Heroes
Ann Reed
What can I learn from you
In your lifetime, in what you've been through
How'd you keep your head up and hold your pride
In an insane world how'd you keep on tryin'
One life can tell the tale
That if you make the effort, you can not fail
By your life you tell me it can be done
By your life's the courage to carry on
(chorus:)
Heroes Appear like a friend

To clear a path or light the flame
As time goes by you find you depend
On your heroes to show you the way
What can I learn from you
That I must do the thing I think I can not do
That you do what's right by your heart and soul

It's the imperfections that make us whole
One life can tell the tale
And if you make the effort you can not fail
By your life you tell me it can be done
By your life's the courage to carry on
(chorus)

Sojourner Truth, Eleanor Roosevelt, Katherine Hepburn, Sally Ride
Susan B. Anthony, Harriet Tubman, Annie Sullivan, Gertrude Stein
Coretta Scott King, Amelia Earhart, Lillian Hellman, Eartha Kitt
Sacajewea, Ella Fitzgerald, Golda Meir, Dorothy Dix
Louisa May Alcott, Billie Jean King, Emily Dickinson, Lucy Stone
Margaret Sanger, Clara Barton, Billie Holiday, Juliette Low
Elizabeth Blackwell, Rosa Parks, Lena Horne, Beverly Sills
Barbara Jordan, Helen Keller, Indira Gandhi, Agens DeMille
Corazon Aquino, Gloria Steinem, Rachel Carson, Joan of Arc
Babe Zaharias, Marlene Deitrich, Anne Frank, Simone de Beauvoir…
I bawl like a baby most of the time when I listen to this - I am so overwhelmed with gratitude for the sacrifices of these and many other brave women who have helped create the world we now are privledged to live in.
Okay, enough of my feminist rant. And this week's works in progress are still #3 & #4 from last week.

1 Comments:
Oh man. If I had known we could stray from the Marvel category for heroes, I would have jumped at the chance! I love your answers, by the way. My heroes are definitely both of my grandmothers, who married bad men, made the most of it and planned stellar escapes with their children in tow. Also, if I can parent and provide like my parents have, I'll be in very good shape. I am blessed with an incredible family.
Great post!
Post a Comment
<< Home